Thursday, October 18, 2007

Opera Nite



Last night the gals and I saw the Metropolitan Opera's breathtaking production of "Lucia di Lammermoor." Mary Zimmerman's contemporary twist on this classic Donizetti tragedy blew me away. I can't believe people actually write operas, let alone sing them. Even robots couldn't make music that complicated and make it so sound flawlessly smooth. I used to hate operas (and the Beatles) because it was the only music my mom liked-- thus my rebellion has kept me from truly connecting with this splendid art form. Maestro James Levine might be the cutest man alive. In addition to an incredible triangle player, the glass harmonica stood out as the best/craziest solo ever. There were also two bassoon players there; I didn't hear or see them play the whole night. It made me think of this video with Stephen Colbert and Paul Dinello where they try to figure out how to get the instrument to make a sound...

No comments: