Friday, December 21, 2007

Memories / Pulse

I remember when I was obsessed with Ani Difranco in high school and now when I hear her songs, they resonate with such overwhelming nostalgia for that specific phase of my life that I can't even hear the music for what it is anymore. But today I thought of one tune in particular and it was just what I needed for this moment, as a gift for the one I love:

"i would offer you my pulse
if i thought it would be useful
i would give you my breath
except
the problem with death is that you have
some hundred years and then they can
build building on your only bones
100 years and then your grave is not your own
we lie in out beds, and our graves
unable to save ourselves from
the quaint tragedies we invent
and then undo from the stupid circumstances
we slalom through
and i realized that night that the hall light
which seemed so bright when you turned it on is nothing
compared to the dawn
which is nothing, compared to the light
which seeps from me while you're sleeping beautiful
and grotesque resting cocooned in my room
that night we got kicked out of two bars
and laughed our way home
and i held you there thinking
i would offer you my pulse
i would give you my breath
i would offer you my pulse"

(to bits xoxoxox)

No comments: